Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Here is a little more about me. 

I earned a bachelors of science in biology from the University of Scranton in 2007. I knew I wanted to teach in some way, but I was not sure what age I wanted to teach. I started looking for masters degrees around Philadelphia, and I was fortunate enough to be accepted to Saint Joseph's University. Their master of science program had a special program in conjunction with the National Science Foundation and a local museum called the Wagner Free Institute of Science. While working on my research and taking classes, I taught elementary school at four schools in the area. It was an amazing experience and I learned so many things about teaching. I also learned there was no way that I would be teaching elementary the rest of my life, and there was no way I would be continuing my education the following year. I wanted to get out into the workforce, and I wanted to teach high school.

For now, high school is a great age. I think I have much to offer the students at this age group. Obviously I am very concerned with their education, but I think I can help with their emotional and social growth as well. 

I applied for countless jobs, and I was fortunate enough to teach a combined 7th and 8th grade at an elementary school. I really enjoyed that year, but I really wanted to teach high school. Through some miscommunications with a university I was attending part time to obtain my teacher's certification, I was forced to quit after a year and attend school full time (again). That was a rough year. My spring semester I was taking 15 credits of graduate classes, 3 undergrad credits, working part time at Petsmart, and tutoring 15 hours per week. The next semester I student taught and against what the university told me, I kept my part time job and continued tutoring. I finally earned my teacher's cert in 2011.  (Side note - I don't really like that university, because I had a few scheduling/financial conflicts)

Even with my education, experience, and now certification in math, biology and general science, I was hired for a long term sub position the Friday before school started. I finally got to teach high school! I taught biology for a quarter, took a handful of substitute positions, then found another long term sub position teaching math, then I was hired full time when the position opened (Finally a full time position!!!!). 

I love teaching math, and I love the high school where I am teaching. My department is great, and we all support each other very well. I think my best lessons come from collaboration with my department. I really like bouncing ideas off of them, and I enjoy helping others with their lessons. That is what I am looking for with my blog, and I really enjoyed reading the feedback from people, because it seems that is what most people are looking for as well, which makes me excited to be here!

I would't want to read something this long, so I will save more info about me until I have some more time. But that is how I got to where I am. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment